Welcome to the walking dare
Well done for taking a step in the right direction! It’s good to have you here. Walking is great for helping improve mental and physical health. Get fit, and reduce pollution caused by vehicles by choosing to walk instead of driving for short journeys.
How will it work?
Simple! During the next week, just use your feet instead of your car for short trips. We don’t expect you to be completely car-free, just to swap a few journeys. You could even try the ‘park-and-stride’ method: drive part of the way to your destination and walk the remaining distance.
Here are some cool facts to inspire you:
- Walking to work or school helps improve concentration 1
- Walking keeps you fit and reduces the risk of developing heart disease, diabetes and depression
- Every kilometre you walk could save up to 283g co2e of transport emissions 2
- Walking more will stop you from spending as much money on fuel
- Stop worrying about finding a parking spot at your destination!
It’s quick to get started – the only thing you really need is some comfortable footwear. We’ve got tons of tips in this dare to help make walking feel easy and fun.
Here’s a list of extra items that could help make your walk comfortable and safe:
- Reusable water bottle
- Waterproof clothing
- Sun protection
- Map or smartphone