Get kitchen confident!
Making lunch can be as simple as putting some jam on a slice of bread but this can soon become boring. Here are some useful links with great tips on sharpening your kitchen skills so you never feel the need to opt for pre-made meals or throw away food again!
It may seem obvious but it doesn’t hurt to be reminded of how to stay safe in the kitchen. These 7 kitchen safety tips are a great start and a good starting point if you have children helping you, too.
Other useful info
Click the links in blue below for more handy tips and kitchen tricks
- Get those knife skills.
- Like them scrambled, boiled or poached? Learn how to cook the perfect egg.
- Bake a jacket potato. Tip 1: Pop the spud in the microwave to soften it, turn every few minutes – 10 minutes should do. Then follow the link’s guidance. When started in the microwave, it’ll only need 20 minutes or so in the oven! Tip 2: Cook two potatoes and have one the next day too! Just quick-cool the plain potato, pop in a sealable tub or plastic bag and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- Make a salad interesting. Tip: Dress up a dull salad with a yummy salad dressing.
- Chop an onion like a pro.
- Make measurements and temperatures easy! Here is a conversion chart.
- Cook the perfect rice. Tip: Remember to use up leftover rice the next day – day-old rice is perfect for fried rice! Here are some other rice recipes!
- Cook pasta. Tip: Why not cook up enough for a few meals? Most pastas can be kept fresh in the fridge for 3-5 days!
Check out some more short videos to gain more cooking techniques!
Show us your skills!
Why not share your new skills with the Homemade Lunch or Fight Food Waste communities? Hop back into the Ailuna app now, we can’t wait to see you!