Habits with impact: the Ailuna “Buy nothing new” action
This series of posts explores each of Ailuna’s actions (sustainability training programs) in more detail, including an introduction to their creators, the reasons and issues behind them and some helpful tips, advice and resources to make sure you can take each action and earn your badge for succeeding!
Not got the Ailuna app yet?
Download it from the App Store or Google Play Store now and select the “buy nothing new” action to start building a new habit that will have a positive impact on you and on the planet.
4 minutes to read
Buy nothing new – why this action was created
Why is buying nothing new a good idea?
Do I need any special equipment or preparation before I start this action?
Ruth & Rosie’s top tips for success
- Get to know your neighbours – lots of things can be borrowed instead of bought!
- Enjoy the chase. Seeking out bargains in charity/thrift shops or on eBay can be great fun.
- Out of sight out of mind! One of the best tips to cut that feeling of “craving” a purchase is to remove the stimulus. If you don’t see it you are less likely to want to do it. You can do this by unsubscribing from ads and emails that encourage you to buy, and by recycling catalogues and avoiding shopping areas if you can. Instead, planning nature and country activities and finding a good book to get into can be a lovely, relaxing alternative.
- Replace buying with a new hobby. Why not start that class you’ve wanted to try or do something that makes you laugh or smile and allows you to express yourself. You might just find something that fills the shopping void perfectly.
- Talk to others. By actively changing our habits, we feel better about ourselves and are more likely to share our success with others. There’s nothing more infectious than a success story, so you will probably find that you will inspire others to make a change too. And when we do things together, they’re so much easier and fun to achieve. You can do this in the Ailuna app really easily by inviting your friends and family to join you in taking on this action!
- Get crafty! Learn to upcycle or mend broken items instead of replacing them.
That’s what we are here for! When taking this action, you might find the Ailuna community is a big help. Full of people on a similar journey to you, you can ask anything, judgement-free, and chances are someone else will be able to help.
If you’ve already completed this action, why not try reducing your overall household waste with the waste check and reduce your waste actions, both available in the Ailuna app now.