Let's ace your recycling!
Did you know that up to 60% of waste in UK household rubbish bins is actually recyclable?
This dare will help you to understand the importance of recycling, and discover which recycling
facilities are available in your area. In addition to kerbside recycling collections, many ‘non-
recyclable’ items are accepted at community drop-off points.
Recycling facilities vary from place to place, but no matter where you live, we’ll help you to
recycle with ease. We’ll start with a focus on household recyclables, and encourage you to
recycle even more as we work through the stages.
● Save energy. Recycling one plastic bottle saves enough energy to power a 60 watt light
bulb for three hours!
● Reduce consumption of raw materials. One ton of recycled plastic saves 16.3 barrels
● Protect natural resources and habitats. One ton of recycled paper saves 17 trees,
463 gallons of oil, and 7,000 gallons of water.
● Save your local authority money. Helping your local economy and community.
● Reduce material sent to landfill and incineration. One ton of recycled steel saves
around 1.8 barrels of oil and 4 cubic yards in a landfill.
Reduce & reuse
It’s always best to reuse and reduce before recycling. For the non everyday items, how about
trying sites such as Freegale, Gumtree and FB MarketPlace/Buy Nothing groups to rehome
your goodies? I once saw a bundle of unwanted carrier bags rehomed. Afterall, one man’s
rubbish is another man’s treasure! Or check out Pinterest for some fabulous upcycling ideas!
But let’s face it, we all have things we need to recycle, we’re so excited that you have joined this dare to improve your recycling skills! Wherever you are on your recycling journey, we will help you to feel more confident. Check out How to recycle like a pro for additional tips and ideas on how to recycle the seemingly unrecyclable.
Ailuna is here to help – just open the community page to chat with us and other recyclers. Let’s get started!